Healthy Yam Bites: A Guilt Free Appetizer
Are you looking for an appetizer recipe that is healthy, easy and delicious? These yammmm bites are the answer...because who doesn't love yams anyway?
You can vamp up this recipe by making a homemade salsa, or keep it simple by using your favourite canned pre-made salsa. Bring these to your next gathering and guaranteed they will be a hit! Great recipe for all you dairy free and gluten free individuals.
- 1 medium sized yam, preferably skinnier and narrower
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- Juice from half of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Scrub and wash yam, do not peel
- Cut yam into quarter inch slices, place in mixing bowl
- Very lightly coat yams with olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper, toss.
- Arrange yam slices on greased baking sheet, don't worry if yams are touching one another. Place in oven, bake for 20minutes. Flip yams and bake for another 20 minutes. Yam should be golden brown on both sides. Remove from oven and let cool before topping.
- While yams are cooling, mash avocado in bowl with fork. Squeeze in juice of half of a lemon, season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in fridge.
Once yams are cooled, they become the base to build and work your magic...the opportunities are endless. Yams as a base work better than I could have imagined. I thought they would be a soft floppy disaster, but they actually work great! Scoop some of the avocado mash onto each yam, then a scoop of the salsa (fresh or pre-bought). Garnish with more cilantro if desired. Serve on your favourite platter and enjoy this guilt free snack!
For the Salsa:
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced very fine
- 1 quarter small purple onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 small can corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add all chopped ingredients and spices to bowl, toss. Place in fridge before serving.
- You can use any colour of pepper you have handy, I think the more colors I have the more appetizing it looks.
- When chopping jalapenos, use gloves or hold stem of jalapeno with a grocery bag or paper towel. If you are a contact wearer like me, DO NOT touch the jalapeno with your fingers, been there done that...it's not fun. Some jalapenos are spicier than others, I usually use about half to three quarters of one jalapeno for a little zing.
- Feel free to add in black beans for extra protein
- Use left over salsa with chips, baked on chicken, or fresh on fish! SO yummy!
Eat food that makes your body FEEL GOOD!
Thanks for stopping by :)