Yam N' Egg Breakfast Bake: Easy make ahead meal
Breakfast is my FAVOURITE meal, there is nothing more satisfying than a big hearty breakfast to keep you full and energized for the day. Because I love breakfast so much, I get excited when I come up with a new meal idea that is so tasty, healthy and easy to grab for a week full of work. This recipe is great because it is one that you can prepare at the beginning of your week to keep your belly full on those busy mornings.
The ingredients listed are ones that I had on hand, but feel free to change it up and use any vegetables that you have. The opportunities are endless - think sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, kale, zucchini, ham...the list goes on. It's a good way to use up any vegetables you may have. Here's what I used.
- 5 eggs
- 1 medium sized yam
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 tomato
- 4-5 pieces prosciutto
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Spray pie plate with cooking spray. Slice yams into very thin slices (you can use mandoline slicer or knife). Layer yams in a circular formation covering the entire bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While yams are baking, chop and cook vegetables. Add olive oil to pan over medium heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms first, cook until onions are almost translucent. Add peppers and cook for a few more minutes. Lastly add spinach, tomato and parsley. Cook until spinach starts to wilt and remove from heat.
- Remove yams from oven, layer prosciutto on top, bake for 5 another minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Layer cooked vegetables onto yam and prosciutto base. Spread vegetables evenly across pan. Pour whisked eggs over top. Place back in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Cut into individual wedges and serve with fresh parsley on top!
My favourite is when some of the yams get a little crisp around the edges..it's like candy!
If you guys try this recipe and like it, please comment below!! I hope your heart remains happy and your bellies are full!!